Powered By Blogger

Saturday, March 20, 2010

SO WHAT IF I FAIL!

I heard that Thomas Edison had 15,000 experiments before he came up with the light bulb. I heard also that when his laboratory was burning down he called his wife and daughter (or however, he communicated with them) and when he had them in his arms he said " I didn't want you to miss this, because you will never see a fire like this again!" He had the ultimate positive attitude.

I hope that in my endeavor that I will succeed. But I have already found that there are those that find ways of saying "you won't make it" .....they don't realize that I have had that all my life. Mrs Clare Olton, my primary school teacher wrote in my school report "Below average!" I remember my mother having read this was enraged and asked the question "What is average?" I simply had some difficulties learning new things quickly. When it came to music however, there was nothing to stop me, it was love at first "heard!"

In fact, some of you know that I teach voice right now. I have around 30 students all of which have varying abilities. There are some who other teachers have said they have no hope of singing. Some of it is personality or aptitude but there seems to be a thread that has formed since I have been teaching:
Whatever you think or others think of your voice, if you use the correct process for developing vocal technique and health you can overcome challenges in the areas of tone, flexibility, range, stamina and pitch problems, so long as you can shut out those that will laugh at you for trying. In fact, after a while you will be amazed at how quickly some will gain respect for you sheer determination...and one day ability.

So I pretty much think that this applies to any endeavor. Let those that laugh, laugh..let those who have no hope in you, continue in that vain, for non of their thoughts have anything to do with your progression. In fact, their breath has been wasted, where as your breath has brought new life and creation through expression.....and so what if you fail? What a fantastic journey along the road, have you been hurt? Humiliated? Feel you've wasted time? Been scrutinized? Chosen foolishly? Cried? Depleted of energy? Denied the Glory of success, the moment of triumph? Ok so you only went 6 rounds in stead of 12 and there wasn't any 2nd chance.....the fact still remains, you were the only one in the ring taking the punches!

So I ask you, am I in the ring on my own? Do I waste breath, will no one hear my songs? Has anyone here taken a punch with me?
Well I am the least alone person in the world; An amazing wife, four amazing daughters, God on my side and as a witness, and YOU! If you are supporting me then of course you are with me and I am not alone. I also have neigh-sayers and an enemy in the ring...and even if it was the enemy and me alone, I would not in fact be alone, for if I have an enemy, then I must be worth fighting, and in this I find great comfort..........are you with me?

3 comments:

  1. Great post! It is true in any endeavor. It's just the same for me with writing and trying to publish a novel. This post really touched me. I'll probably link to it in my next blog post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found you through Angie. Wonderful post. I watched a live show the other day and one thing that occurred to me is some people didn't have amazing voices, but they were still singing and doing what they love...and it showed. And part of that had to do with them putting themselves forward with confidence despite what others might think. Some days are better than others, but you keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. brilliant! you sound like my vocal coach,
    who is always pushing me to do things i
    just know i can't. . . and then do!

    it is the greatest privilege in the world
    to be able to sing a beautiful song, and
    i am thankful to have the opportunity.

    i look forward to reading more of your
    wisdom.

    blessings on your wife and daughters,
    la

    ReplyDelete